- 2 inches fresh ginger root, peeled and grated
- 1/4 cup tamari aged soy sauce
- 2 limes, zested and juiced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, eyeball it
- 2 tablespoons grill seasoning (recommended: Montreal Steak Seasoning by McCormick)
- 2 pounds flank steak
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds Idaho potatoes, 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup cream
- 1 to 2 tablespoons wasabi paste - how hot do ya like it?
- 4 scallions, root end trimmed
- Handful cilantro leaves
Preheat a grill pan or indoor/outdoor grill to high.
Combine ginger, tamari, lime juice, oil and grill seasoning in a large sealable plastic bag. Add meat to marinade and coat evenly. Let stand 10 minutes then grill meat 6 to 7 minutes on each side.
Place potatoes in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, salt the potatoes and cook until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain potatoes and add them back to the hot pot. Smash the potatoes with a masher to desired consistency with the cream and wasabi. Adjust salt, to taste.
Let meat rest 5 minutes then thinly slice on an angle against the grain. Serve meat on mash potato mounds with a garnish with a generous sprinkling of the chopped scallion-cilantro-lime zest.