Italian Chicken and Dumplings
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds chicken tenderloins, diced into bite-sized pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 12 large white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup shredded carrots, store bought
- 4 ribs celery from the heart, very thinly sliced
- 1 to 2 fresh bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- A generous handful parsley leaves
- A handful pine nuts, lightly toasted
- A couple handfuls grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 lemon , zested
- 2 (10 to 12-ounce) packages, fresh gnocchi
If you love Chicken Fricassee, Chicken and Biscuits and Chicken and Dumplings here's a flavorful, Italian take on the classic. Here, basil pesto - a kid favorite, is stirred into the light gravy. For the dumplings, fresh potato gnocchi tossed in lemon butter. WOW!
Place a large pot of water on to boil for gnocchi.
Heat a pot with 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, a turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add chicken, season with salt and pepper, and lightly brown. Remove to a plate and add another tablespoon of olive oil and 2 tablespoons butter and heat. Add mushrooms, carrots, celery, and bay leaf, season with salt and pepper. Soften 5 minutes, sprinkle in flour and cook 2 minutes. Whisk in 2 1/2 cups stock, slide the chicken back into the pot and simmer to allow sauce to thicken.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium heat with the zest of 1 lemon.
Salt cooking water and drop gnocchi in the water, cook until the gnocchi floats, drain and add to the lemon butter and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Toss the gnocchi 2 to 3 minutes in lemon butter until light golden at edges.
Turn heat off chicken and stir in pesto sauce. Serve the chicken in shallow bowls and top with lemon butter dumplings.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.