Meatloaf Patties, Smashed Potatoes, and Pan Gravy
Cook's Notes: Buy tomato paste in the tube, rather than a can; it makes storage of leftover product easier. Tomato paste in the tube is[ often kept with Italian specialty foods, rather than with the canned tomato products.]
- 1 1/3 pounds ground sirloin, 90 percent lean ground beef
- 1 slice white bread, spread with softened butter, then cut into small cubes
- 1/8 cup (a splash) milk
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons grill seasoning blend, or coarse salt and black pepper combined
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 rounded tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped, reserve 1/4 amount
- 2 pounds small red potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 scallions, chopped, whites and greens
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3-Condiment Pan Gravy:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 medium onion, finely chopped, reserved from meatloaf mixture
- 2 tablespoons (a handful) all-purpose flour
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 rounded teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce
- Serving Suggestions:
- Dressed Tossed Salad
Baby Carrots, recipe follows
Place meat in a large mixing bowl and create a well in the center of the meat. Fill the well with the bread cubes and dampen them with a splash of milk. Pour 1 beaten egg over bread and add seasoning or salt and pepper, allspice, tomato paste and onion to the bowl.
Combine the meat, bread and grill seasoning or salt and pepper and form mixture into 4 large oval patties 3/4-inch thick. Pan fry meatloaf patties in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat 7 minutes on each side under a loose tin foil tent. The tent will reflect heat and allow the steam to escape the pan.
Cover the quartered, red-skinned potatoes in water in a medium saucepan. Bring water to a boil and cook potatoes 10 minutes or until fork tender. Turn heat under pan off; drain potatoes and return to hot pan and warm stovetop to dry potatoes out. Add butter, sour cream, scallions, and milk to potatoes and smash to your desired consistency. Season potatoes with salt, to taste.
Remove meat loaf patties to a platter and return pan to heat. Reduce heat to medium and add butter and onion to your skillet. Cook the onion 2 minutes and sprinkle pan with flour. Cook flour 1 minute and whisk in 1 cup beef stock. Bring broth to a bubble. If gravy is too thick, thin with additional stock. Stir in condiments and remove gravy from heat.
Slice meatloaf patties and drizzle with gravy. Pile smashed potatoes along side and make a well in the center for sour cream or gravy. Serve meatloaf and smashed potatoes with baby carrots, or with a tossed salad dressed with oil and vinegar.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.