- 4 to 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/8 pound pancetta, sliced and chopped
- 2 tablespoons (2 turns around the pan in a slow stream) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 pounds escarole, washed and coarsely chopped (2 medium bunches or 1 large bunch)
- 2 (14-ounce) cans, cannellini beans, drained
- 1 quart prepared chicken stock or broth
- A couple pinches ground nutmeg or fresh grated nutmeg
- Coarse salt and black pepper
- Shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano, for topping
- Warm, crusty bread, for mopping
In a deep, large, heavy pot over moderate heat, saute garlic and pancetta in extra-virgin olive oil for 3 minutes. Add onions and cook 1 or 2 minutes longer.
Add the greens and wilt them down to fit them all in the pot. Add beans, broth, and nutmeg, salt and pepper. Cook over moderate to medium-high heat for 12 minutes, or until greens are no longer bitter. Serve with shaved cheese, bread, and good red wine.