Mixed Grilled: 3 New Takes on an Old Favorite
- Butter, for grilling
- 4 slices pumpernickel bread
- 1/3 pound piece Havarti with caraway, thinly sliced
- 1 vine-ripe tomato, thinly sliced
- A few blades fresh chive, snipped or chopped
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- 1/3 pound brick sharp cheddar, thinly sliced
- 8 thin slices baked ham
- 1 small McIntosh apple, thinly sliced
- 4 slices crusty white bread
- 1/3 pound Gruyere, thinly sliced
- 2 handfuls baby spinach leaves from bulk bin of produce department
- 2 artichoke hearts in water, drained and sliced (Reserve the remainder of a small can for a salad topper later in the week)
- Salt and pepper
Heat a nonstick griddle pan over medium high heat. Wipe grill with butter nestled in paper towel. Add 4 slices bread. Cover bread with thin slices of cheese. Cover pumpernickel and Havarti grilled cheese with sliced tomato and chives. Cover cheddar and whole wheat grilled cheese with 2 slices of ham per sandwich and some sliced apple. Cover the crusty white bread-and-Gruyere sandwiches with spinach leaves and thinly sliced artichokes seasoned with salt and pepper.
Make 2 sandwiches at a time and transfer to a warm plate in low oven. Cut sandwiches corner to corner and serve a platter of mixed grilled sandwiches with your homemade soup.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.