Simple, de-lish and ready in less than 10 minutes, this recipe should be made first in any menu so you and yours can enjoy mouthfuls of mussels while you cook.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
- 4 cloves garlic, cracked away from skin and crushed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- A couple pinches salt
- 2 1/2 dozen mussels, scrubbed and beards removed
- 1/2 bottle dark Mexican beer, such as Modelo Negro or Dos Equis
- 1 (15-ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley or cilantro, your preference
In a deep skillet with a cover preheated over medium high heat, add oil, garlic, onion and jalapeno. Season with salt. Saute 2 minutes. Arrange mussels in the pan. Pour in beer and tomatoes and shake the pan to combine. Cover pan and cook 3 minutes or until mussels open. Remove from heat and spoon sauce down into shells. Garnish with parsley or cilantro. Serve immediately from the pan.