Renaissance of Tuna Casserole
- 1 pound fettuccine
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 3 turns of the pan
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 (6-ounce) cans Italian tuna in water or oil, drained
- 1/2 cup tender sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced, available in small pouches in produce department
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, a couple of turns of the pan
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, a couple of turns of the pan
- Black pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, a couple of handfuls
- Couple handfuls grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 cup fresh basil, about 20 leaves, shredded
Place pasta water on to boil. Salt water then add pasta and cook to al dente.
While pasta cooks, heat a deep skillet over medium heat with extra-virgin olive oil. Saute garlic and onions until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add tuna and sun-dried tomatoes and stir to heat through, another 1 to 2 minutes. Add wine and cook it down a minute then add cream and season sauce with salt and pepper. Toss hot pasta and peas with sauce and cheese. Serve on dinner plates and top with shredded basil.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray