Sausage, Peppers and Onions Stoup
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds hot or sweet bulk Italian sausage
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 to 4 cubanelle peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 medium-large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 (15-ounce) cans or 1 (28-ounce) can crushed or diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, torn
- 1 cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano
Heat extra-virgin olive oil in deep skillet, add sausage and brown a few minutes then add garlic, peppers, onions and cook until soft, 6 to 7 minutes more.
Deglaze pan with a little vinegar, stir in stock and tomatoes and reduce heat to simmer, cook 5 minutes more then stir in parsley and basil and serve with cheese on top.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray, 2008
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray