Scallops Bonne Femme and Spinach with Crispy Prosciutto
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 12 button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup cream
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 or 2 dashes hot sauce
- 8 slices prosciutto
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves chopped
- 3 to 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 baguette, split and halved
- 20 large sea scallops, trimmed of any connective tissue and patted dry
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- Handful parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, cracked from skin
- 1 pound triple washed spinach, stems removed
Place oven rack at center of oven and preheat broiler.
Heat 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil in a small pot over medium heat and add the shallots and mushrooms, cook 5 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons butter and flour to softened shallots and mushrooms and cook 1 minute then whisk in wine, reduce 30 seconds, add stock and bring to a bubble. Stir in cream and heat through. Season sauce with nutmeg, salt and pepper and a couple dashes hot sauce, then reduce heat to low.
While the sauce is working, cover cookie sheet with foil and place prosciutto on the sheet and crisp up 2 minutes on each side under the broiler. It will continue to crisp as it cools.
In a small bowl, combine the remaining 6 tablespoons butter, garlic, thyme and basil. Spread over baguette and place under broiler until toasty. Switch oven to 400 degrees F.
Heat a skillet or cast iron pan over high heat. Season the scallops with salt and pepper and dress with 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil. Sear the scallops to caramelize 1 to 1 1/2 minutes on each side then cover them with sauce, bread crumbs and parsley and finish in oven about 6 to 7 minutes until brown and bubbly.
While scallops cook, heat remaining 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil over medium heat with crushed garlic, cook 1 minute and remove. Add spinach and wilt into skillet. Season greens with salt and pepper.