Sexy Surf and Turf: Seared Scallops and Tenderloin Steaks with Manhattan Sauce
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling, plus 1 tablespoon, 1 turn of the pan
- 4 (1-inch thick) tenderloin steaks
- 8 large diver sea scallops, trimmed of the foot
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/3 cup sweet vermouth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons chives, 10 blades, chopped or snipped
Drizzle some extra-virgin olive oil over steaks to coat lightly. Get a nonstick skillet screaming hot and add meat. Cook 3 minutes on each side for medium rare, 4 for medium to medium well.
Remove meat from pan and pull it off fire to cool for a minute.
Bring 2 inches water to a boil in a medium skillet for asparagus.
Return meat pan to medium heat and add 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil. Add shallots, garlic and cook 2 minutes. Add sweet vermouth and reduce by half, 30 seconds or so. Add butter to the pan to finish sauce.
Add asparagus to boiling water. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, remove and dress with lemon juice, a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray