Turkey Cutlets with Mushroom and Water Chestnut Stuffing and Pan Gravy
- 6 slices marble rye bread
- 4 tablespoons softened butter, divided
- 2 1/2 pounds turkey breast cutlets
- Salt and pepper
- 3 teaspoons poultry seasoning, divided, plus 1 teaspoon
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 quart turkey broth (recommended: College Inn brand) or chicken stock (recommended: Kitchen Basics) in a re-sealable paper box
- 1 pound mushrooms, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, from the heart, chopped with leafy green tops
- 1 cup water chestnuts, 1 small can, drained, chopped
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, chopped
Turn on broiler to high and toast the bread on both sides. Butter the toasted bread liberally with softened butter. Set aside. Switch oven to bake and preheat to 375 degrees F.
Season the turkey cutlets with salt, pepper and 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning just eyeball it. In a large skillet, brown turkey cutlets on each side over medium high heat in 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil. Transfer the cutlets to a shallow baking dish and add 1 cup broth to keep meat moist. Transfer cutlets to oven, loosely tented with foil, to continue cooking through. To skillet that you browned the cutlets in, add 2 tablespoons butter and melt it over medium heat. Add flour to butter and cook a minute or two more. Whisk in about 2 cups turkey broth or chicken stock and allow it to thicken up, 5 minutes. Season the gravy with salt and pepper and poultry seasoning, to your taste.
Preheat a second skillet, over medium high heat and 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan. Add chopped mushrooms and brown 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Season mushrooms with salt and pepper. Add celery and water chestnuts as you get them chopped. Continue to cook until veggies are all tender, another 5 minutes. Add scallions, 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning and the parsley. Cut bread into cubes and add. Moisten stuffing with 1 cup broth or stock. Transfer to a serving dish. Use an ice cream scoop to portion out the stuffing at the table. Top mounds of stuffing with turkey cutlets and gravy, serve with sugar snap peas and brown rice or other vegetable side dishes of your choice.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.