Turkey Saltimbocca Roll-ups, Mushrooms and White Beans Ragout, Spinach with Pancetta and Onions
- 12 pieces turkey cutlets, 2 packages
- 6 slices prosciutto di Parma, cut in 1/2 across the center of the ham
- 12 leaves whole fresh sage plus 2 tablespoons finely chopped
- Extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling, plus 4 tablespoons, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning, 2/3 palm full
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, eyeball it
- 2 cups chicken stock, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound crimini (baby portobello) mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can white cannellini beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar, white or red
- 1/8 pound, 3 slices, pancetta, chopped
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound triple washed spinach, stems removed and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, eyeball it
Top each turkey cutlet with half a slice of prosciutto and a whole leaf of sage. Roll up the cutlets and drizzle them with extra-virgin olive oil, then season with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan. Arrange the roll-ups seam side down and cook 6 minutes on each side. Continue with the side dishes, see below, while turkey cooks. After roll-ups have cooked on both sides, transfer to a platter and reserve. Add butter to the skillet and reduce heat to medium low. Add flour to melted butter and combine with a whisk. Whisk in wine and cook out, 30 seconds. Whisk in 1 1/2 cups of stock and form a gravy. Add remaining chopped sage to gravy, salt and pepper to taste. Slide roll-ups back into gravy and simmer over low heat until ready to serve.
For mushrooms and white beans, heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan, then add garlic, red pepper flakes and mushrooms and cook 5 minutes to deepen color. Stir in cannelloni and season the mixture with salt and pepper, to taste. When beans heat through, a minute or 2, add the vinegar and stir in to cook out then add 1/2 cup stock to deglaze the pan. Turn off heat and serve.
For the spinach, heat a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add a tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan, then the chopped pancetta. Brown the pancetta 1 minute then add onions and cook together 5 minutes, until they are just tender and pancetta bits are crisp. Add spinach to the pan and turn to wilt it while combining with onions. Season the spinach with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
Serve 3 roll-ups in gravy with mushrooms and beans and spinach with onions alongside.