Venetian Shrimp and Scallops
- Shrimp and Scallops:
- 1 pound sea scallops
- 1/4 cup flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon (1 turn around the pan) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth or stock
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 12 leaves fresh basil, shredded or torn
- 1 lemon, zested
- Hot, crusty bread, for plate mopping
- Serving Suggestions: Asparagus with Prosciutto
- Dessert Suggestions: Lemon sorbet dessert cups
Lightly coat the sea scallops in flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Discard remaining flour.
Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil (1 turn around the pan) and butter. When butter melts into oil, add scallops. Brown scallops 2 minutes on each side, then remove from pan.
Add an additional drizzle of olive oil to the pan and add the garlic, shallots, and crushed red pepper flakes. Reduce heat a little and saute garlic and shallots 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add wine to the pan and free up any pan drippings. Reduce wine 1 minute, then add stock, tomatoes and saffron threads. When liquids come to a bubble, add shrimp and cook 3 minutes. Return scallops to the pan and cook shrimp and scallops 2 to 3 minutes longer. Transfer shrimp and scallops to a warm serving dish and top with basil and lemon zest. Pass plenty of bread to enjoy the juices.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray