Red Velvet Cupcakes with Almond Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 cups plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (recommended: Valrhona)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 7/8 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 fluid ounce red food coloring
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Almond Cream Cheese Frosting, recipe follows
- Almond Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 11 1/2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 24 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 muffin pans with 24 cupcake liners.
Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder in a medium bowl.
In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, mix the vegetable oil, buttermilk, sugar, eggs, food coloring, applesauce, vinegar, and vanilla on medium speed until incorporated, about 2 minutes. Turn the mixer to medium-low speed, and add the dry ingredients a little bit at a time, making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl if necessary. Mix until just combined.
Fill the cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full, and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 minutes. Cool the cupcakes completely.
Generously frost the top of each cupcake with the Almond Cream Cheese Frosting.Almond Cream Cheese Frosting:
In the bowl of a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, whip the butter and cream cheese on high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Turn the mixer on medium-low, and slowly add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and almond extract. Once the ingredients are all incorporated, turn the mixer to high, and beat for 1 additional minute.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.