Florida Catfish Stew
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup medium diced onions
- 1 cup medium diced celery
- 1 cup medium diced carrots
- 2 quarts lobster, shrimp broth or fish stock
- 1 pound catfish pieces
- 1 pound shucked oysters (about 6 dozen oysters in shell)
- 3 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 3 bay leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
In a large pot (8-quart capacity) heat 1/4 cup of the oil. Saute onions, celery, and carrots for about 5 minutes until onions become translucent and celery and carrots begin to soften. Add broth and bring to a simmer. Add fish, oysters, Cajun seasoning, tomatoes, bay leaves, and salt and pepper, and cook until fish becomes opaque. In a separate bowl, mix the other 1/2 cup of oil with the flour, and stir this mixture gently into the stew to thicken. Cook for a few minutes more to integrate flavors.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.