Romaine Salad with Carpaccio of Tomato and Cucumber
- Thousand Island Dressing:
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 lemon, zest grated and juiced
- 1 tablespoon finely minced chives
- 1 tablespoon finely minced parsley leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Salad and Tomato and Cucumber Carpaccio:
- 1 large ripe yet firm fresh tomato, very thinly sliced with a mandoline
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and very thinly sliced with a mandoline
- 1 1/2 cups mixed greens (organic mesclun mix such as arugula, mache, chicory, sorrel) soaked in salt water to remove grit, thoroughly rinsed, dried in a salad spinner, and shredded into 1/4-inch wide pieces
- 1 heart romaine, separated into individual leaves
- 1 tablespoon shaved red onion
To assemble the carpaccio, place a large tomato slice on each serving plate to be used as the base. Top with 4 thin slices cucumber, distributing evenly atop the tomato. Put a 1/4 teaspoon of salad dressing in the center of cucumbers to anchor a romaine leaf placed curved side up. Top romaine with a small amount of shaved red onion.
Place 1/2 cup of greens alongside carpaccio. Drizzle dressing on and around and serve additional dressing on the side.
2007, Robert Irvine, All Rights Reserved.
Recipe courtesy of Anne Burrell
Recipe courtesy of Dave Lieberman