Romaine Salad with Carpaccio of Tomato and Cucumber
- Thousand Island Dressing:
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 lemon, zest grated and juiced
- 1 tablespoon finely minced chives
- 1 tablespoon finely minced parsley leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Salad and Tomato and Cucumber Carpaccio:
- 1 large ripe yet firm fresh tomato, very thinly sliced with a mandoline
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and very thinly sliced with a mandoline
- 1 1/2 cups mixed greens (organic mesclun mix such as arugula, mache, chicory, sorrel) soaked in salt water to remove grit, thoroughly rinsed, dried in a salad spinner, and shredded into 1/4-inch wide pieces
- 1 heart romaine, separated into individual leaves
- 1 tablespoon shaved red onion
To assemble the carpaccio, place a large tomato slice on each serving plate to be used as the base. Top with 4 thin slices cucumber, distributing evenly atop the tomato. Put a 1/4 teaspoon of salad dressing in the center of cucumbers to anchor a romaine leaf placed curved side up. Top romaine with a small amount of shaved red onion.
Place 1/2 cup of greens alongside carpaccio. Drizzle dressing on and around and serve additional dressing on the side.
2007, Robert Irvine, All Rights Reserved.