Stuffed Chicken (Mashed Potatoes)
- 2 baking potatoes (about 8 ounces each), peeled and cut into 1-inch chunk
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves (about 3 1/2 pounds total)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
In a medium saucepan, add the potatoes and enough cold water to cover, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Drain, then return the potatoes to the pot. Add the milk, 2 tablespoons of butter and lemon zest and mash until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the potatoes to a work surface, flatten into an even round and cut into quarters.
Run your fingers under the skin of each chicken breast to separate it from the meat. Place 1/4 of the potatoes under the skin of each breast, gently pressing to evenly distribute. Place the stuffed chicken in a roasting pan, drizzle with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake until tender and the juices run clear, about 40 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a platter. Stir the lemon juice, parsley and remaining 2 tablespoons butter into the pan juices, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Dzintra Dzenis
Recipe courtesy of Aria Kagan