Pan Seared Chicken with Roasted Tomato Sauce
- 6 plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bone-in, split chicken breast (1 1/2 to 2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Round 2 Recipe: French Stew:
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 sausage links, any kind, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 4 roasted tomato halves, from Pan Seared Chicken with Roasted Tomato Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups beans with bacon, from Beans and Bacon Macaroni, recipe follows
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- Beans and Bacon Macaroni:
- 8 ounces bacon
- Kosher salt
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- Two 15-ounce cans red beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to broil. Adjust the top rack to about 6 inches from the heat.
Cut the tomatoes in half and put them onto a baking sheet, cut-side up. Drizzle over 1 tablespoon canola oil and season with salt and pepper. Place under the broiler and cook until the tomatoes are soft and beginning to brown around the edges, 6 to 8 minutes. Reserve 4 halves for the Round 2 Recipe French Stew.
While the tomatoes are cooking, remove the breast meat from the bone. Slice each piece across horizontally to get 4 large, thin pieces.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Sprinkle the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and cook until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn them over and brown the other side, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the chicken from the skillet, cover and keep warm.
Put the same skillet over medium heat, add the chicken broth and, using a wooden spoon, scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in the mustard and oregano and bring to a simmer. Add the tomatoes and their juices from the baking sheet. Break apart the tomatoes with a wooden spoon or potato masher. Add the butter and let cook until the butter is melted, about 2 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Return the chicken pieces to the pan along with any accumulated juices. Cook for another 2 minutes to heat the chicken through and blend the flavors.Round 2 Recipe: French Stew:
In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, add the oil. When it is hot, add the sausage pieces and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Turn the heat to medium and add the reserved tomatoes, reserved beans and chicken broth. Cook until everything is hot and bubbling, 3 to 5 minutes.
To serve, divide the sausage and beans into 2 bowls and spoon the breadcrumbs on top.Beans and Bacon Macaroni:
Remove all except 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat from the skillet and put it over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until they are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute, being careful not to let the garlic burn. Add the tomatoes and beans and cook until the beans are heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in the bacon and parsley. Reserve 1 1/2 cups for the Round 2 Recipe French Bean Stew.
Recipe copyright Sandra Lee, 2011
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray