Spooky Pastry Puffs
- 1 sheet puff pastry (from a package of 2)
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 green apples, thinly sliced (soak apples in lemon water to keep them from browning)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon rum extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/3 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- Whipped topping in a can
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
Preheat oven to 420 degrees F. Thaw puff pastry in refrigerator
Lay 1 sheet of puff pastry flat on a cutting board. Cut puff pastry with Halloween shaped cookie cutters like bats, pumpkins and ghosts. Place cutout shapes on an ungreased cookie sheet. Make sure there is enough room between shapes for them to puff-up. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
When puff pastry has been baked carefully cut each shape in half like a sandwich. Spread apple butter on bottom half of puff pastry. Layer apple filling on top of the apple butter. Put whipped topping on top of apple filling. Place top half of puff pasty on whipped cream to complete the sandwich. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Recipe courtesy of Sandra Lee