Spicy Chicken Empanadas with Orange Salsa Verde
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 can diced green chiles
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced, optional
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 rotisserie chicken, picked and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 cups grated pepper jack cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Prepared pie dough
- 1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
- Peanut oil, for fryer
- Orange Salsa Verde dipping sauce, recipe follows
- Orange Salsa Verde:
- 1 jar prepared salsa verde
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
Heat vegetable oil in a medium saute pan, add onions, green chiles, jalapenos, garlic and cumin and saute until onions are translucent.
In large bowl combine chicken, lime juice and cilantro. Add the onion-chili mixture and mix. Stir in cheese and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Using a 4-inch ring mold, cut circles from prepared pie dough. Put about 1 tablespoon of the chicken mixture in center of dough. Brush egg wash around circumference of the dough. Fold top half over to form a half circle. Seal with the tines of a fork.
Heat a deep-fryer to 325 degrees F. with peanut oil. Submerge a few empanadas into oil until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. Cool slightly and serve with Orange Salsa Verde dipping sauce.
Cook's Note: Make sure to flip so both sides cook evenly.Orange Salsa Verde:
In a large bowl combine all ingredients.