- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 pear, ripe but firm, peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1 vanilla bean
- 6 red tomatoes, top removed like a "hat", the pulp scooped out and reserved
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1/2 orange, zested
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 mint leaves, stemmed and finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups orange juice
- 1 whole piece star anise
- 6 generous scoops vanilla ice cream
In a medium skillet, heat sugar with water. Heat until it melts and becomes a caramel.
In a medium bowl, mix together the pears and the almonds. Split the vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape the insides into the bowl with the pears, reserving the pod.
Add the orange juice and the vanilla pod to the caramel and bring the mixture to a boil. Add the star anise and reduce for 8 to 10 minutes.
Add the reserved tomato pulp, lemon and orange zests, cinnamon and mint to the bowl with the pears and add 1/4 of the caramel mixture. Stir to blend.
"Stuff" the insides of the tomatoes with the mixture and top with the "hats". Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the pan in the oven and cook, basting from time to time, 8 to 10 minutes.