- 6 slices bacon, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley leaves, for garnish
- Special equipment: 9-inch aluminum pie pan
In a large saute pan, over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy. Reserve bacon in pan with rendered fat.
Bring 6 cups salted water to a boil in a large pot. Poke holes using a pointed chopstick through the bottom of the aluminum pie pan to create a disposable spaetzle maker. Push the dough through the holes into the boiling water. Stir and cook for 3 minutes, or until dumplings float. Remove dumplings and immediately toss in pan with bacon. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper and garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.