Sweet Chili Asian Meatballs
- 1 slice white bread
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound ground lamb
- 1/2 pound ground bison
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon peeled and finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 serrano peppers, chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon plum vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon mirin
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 jar sweet chili sauce
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs, toasted
- 3 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
Soak the slice of bread in the milk in a small bowl.
Mix the ground meats, soaked bread, and all remaining ingredients, up to the olive oil, until well combined.
Roll the meat mixture into walnut-sized balls. In a large saute pan, over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil and sear the meatballs. If you can't fit them all in the pan at once, cook in batches. Sear into golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. Cool slightly.
In a small saucepan, heat the chili sauce over low heat.
Stick a toothpick or skewer into each meatball, then dip them into the sauce. Roll the tips in toasted panko and crystallized ginger and serve.
Food Network Kitchens have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy Brianna Jenkins
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray