- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- Roasted Chicken, recipe follows
- Dijon Cream Sauce, recipe follows
- Special equipment: a waffle iron
Ladle the batter into the waffle iron, following the manufacturer's instructions. While the waffle iron is closed, trim any overflow with the back of a knife. Cook until golden.
Serve waffles hot, topped with hot Roasted Chicken and a generous amount of hot Dijon Cream Sauce.
- 8 boneless chicken breasts, skin on
- 4 tablespoons clarified butter** See Cook's Note
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, for seasoning
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Heat a large ovenproof skillet over high heat. Meanwhile, rub the chicken breasts with the clarified butter, salt, and pepper. Place the chicken skin-side down in the hot skillet. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes until the skin is golden and crispy. Turn the breasts over and cook for another minute. Flip the chicken back onto the skin side and place the skillet directly in the oven. Roast for 10 to 12 minutes or until the juices run clear (see Cook's Note*). Remove the skillet from the oven and let the chicken rest for several minutes before slicing (see Cook's Note**).
Diagonally slice each chicken breast into 3 pieces.