Fresh Strawberries with Sweet Sour Cream and Red Wine Sauce
- 3 cups full-bodied red wine
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 to 5 (1-inch wide, 3-inches long) strips orange peel
- 1/4 cup orange-flavored liqueur (recommended: Grand Marnier)
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream, refrigerated
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 pints fresh strawberries
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
In a large saucepan add red wine, sugar, orange peel and orange-flavored liqueur. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes over low-heat until slightly syrupy and liquid has reduced by half. Set aside and cool in the refrigerator. Strain.
In a mixing bowl, combine the sour cream with confectioners' sugar. Take a large platter and make a smear of the sweet sour cream. Arrange the strawberries with the bottoms down in the sour cream. Pour over the red wine sauce and dust the entire plate with confectioners' sugar.
Recipe courtesy of Tyler Florence, 2007