- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 ounces pancetta, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small sprig fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 head escarole, (about 1 pound) coarsely chopped
- 5 cups chicken broth, homemade or low-fat canned
- 2 (15-ounce) cans Great Northern (cannellini) beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped canned tomato
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated Parmesan, optional
Heat the oil in a soup pot, over medium heat, add the pancetta, and cook until just brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer the pancetta to a plate with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add the onion to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally until golden, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, rosemary, and pepper flakes, cook until translucent, about 3 minutes more.
Stir in the escarole and cook until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Add the broth, beans, tomato, and bring to a gentle simmer. Season with salt, to taste. Cover, and cook until slightly thickened, about for 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the reserved pancetta and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve in bowls with a drizzle of olive oil and Parmesan, if desired.
366 calories, 18 grams total fat, 4 grams saturated fat, 39 grams carbohydrates
Copyright 2003 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved