- 2 cups water
- 1 (1-inch) piece cinnamon stick
- 4 green cardamom pods, smashed
- 4 whole cloves
- 1/2 star anise
- 2 quarter-sized coins fresh ginger
- 2 scant teaspoon black tea leaves (recommended: Taj Mahal) or black tea of choice
- 2 teaspoons honey, or more to taste
- Whole milk or half-and-half
In a medium pan, bring the water, all of the spices and the ginger to a boil over medium heat. Turn off the heat and allow it to steep for 15 minutes.
Bring the mixture back to a boil, then add the tea. Turn the heat off, and allow it to steep for 3 to 5 minutes depending on how strong you like your tea. Stir in the honey and add milk to your liking. Strain it into a bowl or pitcher and serve!
Recipe courtesy of Aarti Sequeira, 2010