- 1/2 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 8 chocolate-filled vanilla wafer cookies, such as Pepperidge Farm Milano or for a gluten-free alternative, I like gluten-free ladyfingers)
- Ground espresso beans for 4-ounces brewed espresso or 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1 to 2 green cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- A little dark chocolate for grating over top
In a cold bowl, whip the heavy cream until soft peaks form. Set it aside in the refrigerator until you're ready to serve.
If you're using an espresso machine, place a cardamom pod in the filter. Pack with the espresso, compact and brew. Alternatively, if you're using the instant espresso powder, bring 1/2 cup of water to a boil in a saucepan with the cardamom pods. Then whisk in the espresso, strain, and discard the solids.
To assemble: Place a generous scoop or two of ice cream in the bottom of 4 small glasses. Pour a shot of espresso into each glass, and top with a dollop of cream. Crumble the cookies over the top and sprinkle with grated dark chocolate. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy Aarti Sequeira