Coconut-Tomato Gazpacho with Coriander - Mint Pickled Shrimp
- For shrimp:
- 2 cups sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 pound shelled colossal shrimp, tails intact
- 5 sprigs fresh mint
- 5 sprigs fresh cilantro
- For gazpacho:
- 5 large vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 large vine-ripened tomato, whole
- For garnish:
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
In a large saucepot, combine the vinegar, water, coriander seeds, peppercorns, cloves, and red pepper flakes. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp, mint, and cilantro. Turn off the heat and allow to cool for 30 minutes. Drain the shrimp.
Combine the chopped tomatoes, red onion, ginger, and coconut milk in a blender and puree until smooth. Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Core the whole tomato and add to blender. Pulse the blender 5 times, or until the tomato is coarsely chopped. Transfer the gazpacho to the refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes.
Serve the soup in small chilled bowls with a shrimp on top. Garnish with finely chopped cilantro.
Food Network Kitchens have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy Aarti Sequeria
Recipe courtesy of Tyler Florence