- 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large bunch kale, leaves stripped off stems
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1/4 cup whole, skinned almonds
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves and soft stems
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 (15-ounce) can great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
Warm 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering.
Meanwhile, wash the kale but don't dry the leaves too much. Rip the leaves into smaller pieces if you wish, but I like leaving them whole. Add the kale to the skillet - watch out, it will splutter. Toss with tongs and immediately cover and lower the heat.
Remove the lid and check the kale; the leaves should be tender. Add the beans and cilantro pesto and toss. Taste and adjust seasonings, and then cook another 5 minutes until warmed through. Serve and feel good about all the greens you're eating!