Lebanese Meat-Stuffed Pitas (Arayes)
- 1/2 large white onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/2 small bunch fresh parsley
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small tomato, diced finely
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- 4 pieces pita (whole wheat or regular), cut into quarters
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
Christina Perozzi from beerforchicks.com suggests the Deschutes Black Butte Porter from Bend, Oregon. It looks dark, but it has a light and bright body, nutty and smoky flavors, and a dry finish that will work perfectly with this snack.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
In a food processor, combine the onions, garlic, and parsley until finely minced. Remove to a large bowl and add in the beef, tomato, garam masala, pine nuts, and lemon juice. Season with salt. Mix with your hands until well combined.
Arrange the pita quarters on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Fill each quarter with about 2 tablespoons of the meat mixture, flattening it out so the filling is even. Brush each quarter on both sides with a little olive oil. Sprinkle salt on top.
Bake for 20 minutes, turning once halfway through. Pitas should be browned and crispy.