Thai Roasted Green Fish
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (about half a lime, save the other half for later)
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro (leaves and soft stems)
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 (3 pound) whole striped bass, scales, fins and innards removed
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with foil or parchment.
Cut 4 to 5 slits on each side of the fish, almost down to the bone.
Divide the cilantro paste in half. Rub 1 portion of the paste all over fish, especially into the slits and the cavity of the fish. Reserve the other half for serving.
Take a large piece of foil and form a loose ball. Stuff it into the cavity so that you can make the fish "sit" on the baking sheet, belly facing down, ridge of the fish's back facing the ceiling. It'll look as if the fish is swimming on the baking sheet!
Bake until the eyes turn solid white and the flesh flakes easily, 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the size of the fish.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.