Chipotle Chicken Fajitas
- 1 pound (about 6) boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut lengthwise into strips about 1-inch wide
- 1 chipotle en adobo, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium red onion, quartered and sliced crosswise 1/2-inch thick
- 3 medium cloves garlic, thinly sliced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 medium bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, quartered lengthwise, and sliced into 1/2-inch strips
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth or water
- 2 teaspoons roughly chopped fresh oregano
- 6 to 8 flour tortillas, warmed, for serving
- Pico de Gallo salsa, optional for serving
- Guacamole, optional for serving
- Sour cream, optional for serving
Place chicken in a bowl, add chipotle, and salt and toss until meat is well coated. Set aside.
Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. When it smokes, add half of chicken and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove to a plate and, return pan to stove, add 1 more teaspoon of the oil, and repeat with second batch.
Add remaining 1 teaspoon of the oil, add onion and garlic and cook until golden and soft, about 2 minutes. Add peppers and cook until softened and golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Return chicken and any accumulated juices to pan, add broth and cook until sauce is slightly reduced, chicken is cooked through, and peppers are soft, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in oregano, taste, and adjust seasoning, as necessary. Serve immediately over steamed rice or potatoes.
Serves: 4 (includes 8 tortillas and no additional options for serving); Calories: 366; Total Fat: 13 grams; Saturated Fat: 2.5 grams; Protein: 28 grams; Total carbohydrates: 34 grams; Sugar: 5 grams; Fiber: 3 grams; Cholesterol: 94 milligrams; Sodium: 1494 milligrams
Recipe courtesy of Aida Mollenkamp