- 5 1/2 to 6 pounds chicken thighs
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup mirin
- 8 medium garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 4 -inch piece ginger, sliced 1/2-inch thick and smashed
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 5 tablespoons water
- Thinly sliced green onions, for garnish
Combine all ingredients except cornstarch and green onions in a large pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to low and simmer, covered, turning occasionally, until chicken is tender, about 30 to 35 minutes more.
Remove chicken to a serving platter. Remove garlic and ginger and discard. Bring sauce to a boil, skim off excess fat, and cook until reduced slightly, about 10 minutes. Whisk in cornstarch mixture and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, add chicken, turn to coat, and serve chicken with sauce and sliced green onions.
Recipe courtesy of Aida Mollenkamp
Recipe courtesy of Alex Guarnaschelli