Spicy Coconut Soup
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 stalk lemongrass, white part only, sliced lengthwise, cut into 6-inch lengths, and smashed
- 1 (3-inch) piece fresh ginger, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 medium Thai bird chile, Serrano, or jalapeno pepper, end trimmed, halved lengthwise, and seeded
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- 7 ounces firm tofu, small dice
- 1 1/2 cups frozen or fresh baby peas
- 6 ounces snow peas
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced Thai basil leaves
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
Heat oil in a small pot over medium-high heat. When it shimmers, add lemongrass, ginger, and chile and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Carefully add stock, coconut milk, and sugar and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low and add tofu, peas, and snow peas and cook until snow peas are cooked through, about 4 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in basil, lime juice, and fish sauce. Serve.
Serves: 6: Calories: 263; Total Fat:19 grams; Saturated Fat:13 grams; Protein:11 grams; Total carbohydrates: 15 grams; Sugar: 6 grams; Fiber: 3 grams; Cholesterol: 0 milligrams; Sodium: 755 milligrams
More Recipes and Ideas:
Plantain and Coconut Soup with Shrimp, Tomato and Avocado Salad, Cool 'n' Spicy Green Tomato Soup with Crab and Country Ham, Curried Squash Soup with Apple and Cheddar Melts, Chicken Noodle Soup Recipes, Chicken Soup Recipes, Coconut Shrimp Recipes, Coconut Cake Recipes, Tortilla Soup Recipes, Carrot Soup Recipes