Spicy Coconut Soup
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 stalk lemongrass, white part only, sliced lengthwise, cut into 6-inch lengths, and smashed
- 1 (3-inch) piece fresh ginger, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 medium Thai bird chile, Serrano, or jalapeno pepper, end trimmed, halved lengthwise, and seeded
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- 7 ounces firm tofu, small dice
- 1 1/2 cups frozen or fresh baby peas
- 6 ounces snow peas
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced Thai basil leaves
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
Heat oil in a small pot over medium-high heat. When it shimmers, add lemongrass, ginger, and chile and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Carefully add stock, coconut milk, and sugar and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low and add tofu, peas, and snow peas and cook until snow peas are cooked through, about 4 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in basil, lime juice, and fish sauce. Serve.
Serves: 6: Calories: 263; Total Fat:19 grams; Saturated Fat:13 grams; Protein:11 grams; Total carbohydrates: 15 grams; Sugar: 6 grams; Fiber: 3 grams; Cholesterol: 0 milligrams; Sodium: 755 milligrams