Cheese Fondue Hash Browns
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large Idaho potatoes, washed, peeled and diced (about 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick)
- Pinch paprika
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch green onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 small Camembert or Brie cheese, rind trimmed off the bottom side
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the oil. When the oil begins to smoke lightly, add the butter and the potatoes. Season with a pinch of paprika and salt and pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring from time to time, until they become tender but crispy, about 10 minutes. Add the onions and the wine. Season again with salt and pepper and increase the heat. The potatoes should eventually start to brown. Add more butter, if desired. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes, stirring from time to time, so the potatoes brown on all sides.
Put the cheese in the middle of the skillet on top of everything and put the pan in the center of the oven. Bake until the cheese melts, about 8 to 10 minutes. The potatoes should be tender when pierced with the tip of a knife. Remove from the oven and season again with salt, if needed. Transfer to a serving platter and serve immediately.