- 1 unbaked pie crust, recipe follows*
- 1 1/2 cups cooked, peeled and mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 heaping teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk (canned, half and half, cream or whole milk)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Roll out 1 pie crust and place it in a pie plate. Mix all of the remaining ingredients together and pour into the unbaked pie crust. Bake for 45 minutes or until pie is firm. Allow to cool completely.
*Note: This filling is for 1 pie crust. The remaining 3 crusts can be used for other pies or frozen.
Pie Crust (recipe for 4 pie crusts):
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups shortening (butter flavored)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
Mix flour, shortening, salt and sugar together with a pastry blender until well blended. Slightly beat egg, water and vinegar together with a whisk and pour over the well blended flour mixture. Mix all ingredients together with a fork. Divide crust into 4 equal parts. Roll each with a rolling pin and place into 4 pie pans. Flute edges of crust.
Yield: 4 pie crusts
* Guest Recipe
A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.