Broiled Salmon with AB's Spice Pomade
- 1/3 cup canola oil, plus 2 teaspoons for sheet pan
- 1 side of salmon (approximately 3 pounds), pin bones removed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon whole coriander, toasted
- 1 tablespoon whole fennel seed, toasted
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seed, toasted
- 1 whole star anise pod
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Rub sheet pan with the 2 teaspoons of oil and place side of salmon in pan. Salt and pepper salmon. Set aside.
Add coriander, fennel seed, cumin seed, star anise, onion powder, garlic powder and cayenne pepper to a blender. Turn blender on high and process until whole spices become powder. With blender running, pour in 1/3 cup canola oil and blend until well combined. Stop blender to brush down sides of container, if necessary.
Brush salmon with spice mixture. Allow salmon to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to the high broiler setting. Place salmon in the oven 6-inches from broiler. Cook until salmon reaches an internal temperature of 131 degrees F. This will take approximately 15 minutes, but will vary with different ovens. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes, and then serve immediately. Note that the internal temperature of the fish will a rise a little as carry-over cooking occurs.
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2003