- 1 pound whole-wheat cassarecci, rigatoni or penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 slices lean peppered bacon, chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed fire roasted tomatoes
- Black pepper
- A handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Shredded sharp white Cheddar, to pass at table
Heat water to boil for pasta, season with salt and cook pasta to al dente.
Heat a deep skillet over medium-high heat with extra-virgin olive oil, a turn of the pan. Add bacon and crisp 4 to 5 minutes then add onions and garlic cook to soften, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in stock then tomatoes and season with pepper to taste. Simmer sauce 15 minutes. Toss pasta with sauce and parsley. Serve with grated sharp white Cheddar.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray, 2007