Asian Chicken-N-Dumplings Five-Spice Chicken Noodle and Shiitake-Dumplings
- 1 free range chicken, 3 to 4 pounds
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 8 slices ginger
- 6 scallions, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium zucchini, turned into spaghetti
- 1 medium peeled carrot, turned into spaghetti
- Salt and white pepper, to taste
- SHIITAKE DUMPLINGS:
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley (save half for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons Sauteed sliced scallions
- 1/2 cup sauteed and minced shiitake mushrooms
In a large stock pot, place chicken in and cover with cold water. Add five-spice, soy, ginger and scallions. Bring to a slow boil and simmer for 20 minutes only. Cover pot tightly, seal with foil, turn off heat and let steep for 1 hour. Season with salt and white pepper. Carefully remove chicken from bones and shred by hand. Add chicken back to strained broth. Keep hot. Add zucchini and carrot spaghetti to hot soup 3 minutes before serving. Check for seasoning.
PLATING Ladle the soup and spaghetti over the hot dumplings. Garnish with chopped parsley.
Wine Suggestion: The Eyrie Vineyard, Oregon Pinot Gris, 1995SHIITAKE DUMPLINGS:
In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and oil. In a mixing bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, half of the parsley, cilantro, thyme, scallions and shiitakes. With the paddle of an electric mixer on low speed, slowly add the egg mixture till it comes together. Do not over work the dough. Let mix stand for 30 minutes. Using floured hands, form small dumplings about the size of golf balls. (Test 1 small dumpling first for seasoning.) In a pot of boiling, salted water add the dumplings in 1 at a time and cook thoroughly, about 6 to 8 minutes. Take dumplings out of strainer and place in large heated soup bowls.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.