Baba Ghanoush with Warm Pita
- 4 baby Italian eggplants (about 1 pound total), scored
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon tahini paste
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Handful cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- Pita Crisps:
- 8 large pita rounds, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons za'atar dry spice
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
Split the eggplants in half through the stem and score sides. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt. Grill eggplants on a very hot grill pan until skins are wrinkled and black and flesh side is nicely charred.
When the eggplants are cool enough to handle, cut off tops.
In a food processor, combine eggplant, garlic, tahini, lemon juice, cumin, and cilantro and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Pour in the olive oil and pulse again to incorporate. Taste and adjust seasoning, as needed. Pour into a serving bowl and garnish with a drizzle of olive oil and some roughly chopped cilantro. Serve with pita strips for dipping.
To make pita strips.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Put the pita wedges in a large mixing bowl. Combine za'atar spice mix and extra-virgin olive oil and drizzle over wedges. Season with salt and toss to coat evenly. Lay out pita wedges on a roasting tray and bake in the hot oven for 10 to 15 minutes until warmed through. If you prefer a crispier pita bake for a further 5 to 7 minutes. Serve warm with baba ghanoush.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.