Ballymaloe Irish Stew
- 2 pounds shoulder lamb chops, about 1-inch thick
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup Guinness beer or any dark beer
- 1 pound new potatoes
- 1 pound baby carrots, peeled
- 1 pint pearl onions, peeled
- 4 cups lamb stock
- 2 tablespoons dark roux
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
Season the lamb chops with salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven, over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, but not smoking add the chops. Sear for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Remove the chops from the pan and set aside. Add the beer and continue to cook for 1 minute, scraping any brown particles off the bottom of the pan. Add the lamb back to the pan. In a mixing bowl, toss the vegetables with salt and pepper. Add the vegetables to the pan. Cover with the stock. Bring the liquid to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to medium low. Simmer for about 2 hours or until the lamb falls off the bone. Stir in the roux and continue to cook for 10 minutes. Stir in the parsley and spoon into serving bowls.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.