Big Blue Buffalo Jala' Poppers
- 4 wedges light spreadable Swiss cheese (recommended: The Laughing Cow Light)
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper sauce, divided (recommended: Frank's RedHot)
- 3 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- 6 fresh whole jalapeno peppers
- 1/2 cup high-fiber bran cereal (recommended: Fiber One Original)
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute
- Serving suggestion: carrot and celery sticks
Cook's Note: Be very careful when handling jalapeno peppers. Avoid touching your eyes, and wash your hands frequently.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick spray and set it aside.
In a small bowl, combine cheese wedges with 1 tablespoon of hot sauce and mix well. Add blue cheese, stir, and set aside.
Halve the peppers lengthwise, and remove the seeds, stems, etc. Wash the halves and dry them very well. Evenly spoon and spread the cheese mixture into the pepper halves and set aside.
Pour egg substitute into a shallow bowl. Add remaining 1 tablespoon of hot sauce and mix well. One at a time, gently cover the pepper halves with egg mixture, shake to remove excess, and then coat entirely with crumb mixture. Repeat with the remaining pepper halves, evenly placing them on the baking sheet.
Bake in the oven until the coating is crispy and the pepper halves have softened, 25 to 30 minutes. Enjoy!
PER SERVING (1/4th of recipe, 3 poppers): 106 calories, 3.5g fat, 639mg sodium, 14g carbs, 4.5g fiber, 4.5g sugars, 6.5g protein