- 1 (1-pound) beef tenderloin
- Canola oil
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground fresh black pepper
- 4 croissants, halved and toasted
- 8 slices aged Cheddar
- Horseradish Mayonnaise, recipe follows
- 1 bunch watercress, washed and dried
Heat grill to high. Rub meat with oil and season with salt and the black pepper. Grill on both sides until slightly charred and cooked to medium-rare doneness, about 4 minutes per side. Remove from the grill and let rest 5 minutes. Slice into 1/4-inch thick slices.
Lay toasted croissant halves on a flat surface and top each half with a slice of the cheese. Divide the steak among 4 of the slices and combine halves make 4 sandwiches. Wrap each sandwich in foil, place on the grill and grill for 1 minute on each side. Remove from the grill and foil, lift 1 slice of the bread from each sandwich, and spread with a few tablespoons of Horseradish Mayonnaise. Top with a few sprigs of watercress and serve.
- 1/2 cup prepared mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish, drained
Whisk together all ingredients in a small bowl. Season, to taste, with salt. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before using.