Grilled Corn and Tomato-Sweet Onion Salad with Fresh Basil Dressing and Crumbled Blue Cheese
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ears corn, grilled in the husk, kernels removed
- 1 sweet onion (such as Vidalia or Walla Walla), halved and thinly sliced
- 1 pint Sweet 100 tomatoes or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 8 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- Fresh basil sprigs, for garnish
Combine the vinegar, basil, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of pepper and oil in a blender and blend until smooth. Can be made 2 hours in advance and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before using.
Combine the corn kernels, onion and tomato in a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss to coat, season with salt and pepper. Let sit at room temperature 30 minutes before serving. Top with crumbled blue cheese and garnish with basil sprigs just before serving. Salad can be made 1 day in advance and served cold or at room temperature.
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay, 2007