- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds chicken legs and thighs, skin removed
- 3 tablespoons ancho chile powder
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 ancho chile, coarsely chopped
- 2 New Mexican chilies, coarsely chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 6 sprigs cilantro, plus more chopped, for garnish
- 12 flour tortillas, warmed
- Salsa Verde, recipe follows
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and ancho chile powder. Sear, skin-side down, in the oil until golden brown. Turn over and brown on the other side. Remove the chicken to a plate.
Add the onion to the pan and cook until lightly golden brown. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Add the chicken back to the pot, add the chiles, stock, and cilantro, and bring to a boil. Cover and roast in the oven until the chicken easily falls away from the bone, about 40 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pot and strain the cooking liquid into a bowl.
When the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove bones and cut or shred the meat into bite-sized pieces. Place the reserved cooking liquid into a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer. Add the shredded chicken, turn off the heat and let warm.
Divide the warm chicken among the warm tortillas, top with Salsa Verde and chopped cilantro.