- 2 large Spanish onions, chopped
- 1 head garlic, divided into cloves, peeled, and chopped
- 5 to 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds Portuguese chourico (linguica is the milder sausage for the faint of heart.)
- 6 tablespoons crushed red pepper in vinegar
- 4 cups of water
- 2 (16-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes or vegetable tomato juice
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Portuguese allspice, optional
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 3 to 5 red bliss potatoes
- 1 bunch garden green beans or pea pods
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of any wine or vermouth
- 3 to 5 lobster tails
- 1 pound Cherrystone clams
- 1 pound mussels
- 1 pound cod or sea bass
You will need two large saucepots. In one pot saute one onion and half the garlic in 2 to 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil until transparent. Cut Portuguese chourico into desired pieces, and add 1 pound to the onion mixture. Add 3 tablespoons crushed red pepper in vinegar.
Do the same exact thing in the other large saucepot.
To one pot, add 4 cups water, 1 can of tomatoes, ketchup, Portuguese allspice, if using, and chopped parsley. Let simmer for about 10 minutes.
Add potatoes, skins on, cut in desired pieces. When potatoes are almost cooked, add fresh green beans or pea pods. Do not overcook the beans or peas unless you like overdone vegetables.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.