- 1/4 cup ancho chile powder
- 2 tablespoons ground toasted cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 12 sea scallops, rinsed and patted dry
Combine ancho, cumin, salt and pepper in a medium shallow bowl. Heat oil in a large saute pan until smoking. Dredge 1 side of each scallop in the spice mixture. Place the scallops in the heated pan, chile side down and cook for 20 seconds. Reduce the heat low, turn the scallops and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more. Remove from pan and reserve.
Blue Corn Tortilla Strips:
Heat oil to 375 degrees F. Fry the tortilla strips in batches, remove to a plate lined with paper towels and season with salt.
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 basil leaves, chiffonade
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1 1/4 cups pure olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Combine juices, basil and onion in a blender and blend until smooth. With the motor running, slowly add the olive oil until emulsified and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- 3 cups assorted greens, mizuna, arugula and frisee
- Citrus Vinaigrette
- large ripe mango, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- 1 yellow pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Place greens in a large bowl, drizzle with a few tablespoons of the vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Place the greens on a large platter. Arrange the scallops around the platter. Mound the fried tortillas in the center of the plate and garnish with the red and yellow peppers and cilantro. Drizzle everything with more of the vinaigrette and serve.