Veal Chops with Mixed Peppercorns on Lentils with Broccoli Rabe with Garlic and Pecorino Romano Cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 pound slab bacon, cut into small cubes
- 1 large Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups lentils, washed and picked over
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Finely chopped fresh parsley
- Broccoli Rabe with Garlic and Pecorino Romano Cheese:
- 2 pounds broccoli rabe, tough stems peeled
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 4 3/4 -inch thick veal loin chops (8 to 10 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons coarsely ground mixed peppercorns (red, pink, green, black)
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
For the Lentils: Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until golden brown. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside. Cook the onion and carrot in the rendered fat until the onion softens. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add 3 cups of the water and wine and bring to a boil. Stir in the lentils, bay leaf and thyme and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover the pan partially and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until the lentils are tender, about 30 minutes. Add additional water is needed. Discard bay leaf and stir in the reserved bacon and parsley.
For the Broccoli Rabe with Garlic and Pecorino Romano Cheese: Cook broccoli rabe in large pot of boiling salted water for 3 minutes. Drain and shock in ice water. Drain again and pat dry. Heat olive oil in a medium large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add broccoli rabe and saute until heated through, season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and sprinkle 4 tablespoons of the cheese over and toss to combine. Transfer to a platter and sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of cheese.
For the Veal: Brush veal chops on 1 side with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Season with salt and dredge in the peppercorn mixture. Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Sear the veal peppercorn side down until golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium turn the chops over and continue cooking 4 to 5 minutes for medium-rare doneness. Remove veal from pan. Increase heat to high, add shallots and cook until soft. Add wine and reduce until dry. Add stock and cook until reduced by half. Swirl in the butter and rosemary and season with salt and pepper to taste. Place veal over lentils and spoon sauce over.
Copyright 1999 Bobby Flay. All Rights Reserved.