- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1/2 large carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, rinsed
- 5 cups chicken stock or canned chicken broth
- 2 cups apple cider
- 2 cups heavy cream, apple cider, or chicken stock (optional)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
Heat the oil in a large pot and saute the onion, carrot, and celery until the carrot and celery are soft and the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the squash and thyme and saute until all of the vegetables are coated with oil, about 2 minutes. Add the stock and the 2 cups of cider and simmer until the squash is very soft, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat. Puree the mixture, in small batches, in a blender on medium speed until smooth and well blended. Place the pureed mixture into another pot and stir in either the cream, cider or stock to achieve the desired consistency. Add the salt and black pepper. Heat gently and serve.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.